James M. Dixon
P.O. Box 4286
Battle Creek, MI 49016
Telephone: (269) 969-4387
1. In 1996, I received the Outstanding Achievement award in Creative writing from Kellogg Community College.
2. In 1998, I received a scholarship to attend Cranbrook for a weekend writing retreat.
3. In 1997, I received a grant to collect poems about Sojourner Truth, written by elementary students in the Calhoun County area.
4. Over the last 8 years, I have worked with several of the colleges in the area reciting my work. The colleges include: Albion, Olivet, Kellogg Community College, Kalamazoo Community College, and Chicago State University.
5. In 1999, I received a Special Needs Grant to teach POP (Power of Poetry) workshops to children grades 3rd through 12th, in the Calhoun County area.
6. I am the founder of the Food For Thought Program. This is a program where I coordinate local poets to perform. We help raise money for, and expand awareness regarding our less fortunate neighbors in the community.
7. In 2001, I was nominated for Alumni of the year, most notably, for the work I do with students in the area, with regard to poetry.
8. In 2001, I made the 2001 Kalamazoo Poetry Slam team. The slam competition was held in Seattle, Washington.
9. Other performance locations include: The Gerald R. Dodge Poetry Festival, Parchment Middle School, Kalamazoo Central High School, Star Commonwealth, Albion High School, Franklin Elementary, and Albion Public Library.
10. I lectured for the Word Wise Writing Program at the Jackson Public Library.
11. I performed for the Post Band Concert Series in Battle Creek, MI.
12. I host a bi-weekly open mic poetry show at Djangos Java in Battle Creek, MI.